Summer Camp and Fun in Huntsville Alabama 2023
As we all get excited about the end of school, there's also that question- what am I going to do all summer with my kids? It's a lot to think through! I listened to The Lazy Genius Podcast- 10 Questions for the Start of Summer a few days ago which got me thinking. I need a plan! We all need a plan as we head into summer so here are some ideas.
For our family, we love our neighborhood pool- Piedmont Pool. Huntsville has a ton of great neighborhood pools and swim teams to keep your kids exercising and staying busy. We have friends at Jones Valley Pool, Blossomwood Pool, Greenwyche Pool, Valley Hill Country Club, Hampton Cove Pool, or The Ledges. There are many more, but those are just a few to look into.
For younger kids, there's VBS:
- Whitesburg Baptist - Twists and Turns
- Southwood Presbyterian - Stellar!
- Cove Church
- First United Methodist - Hero Hotline
For older kids, here are a few camps we know are great from personal experience. We know there are many more, but these are ones our kids have attended and enjoyed:
- FCA Sports Camp - both our kids have done these and loved it! Great way to try a new sport or improve skills at sports you already play.
- VSI - basketball and football training, academic coaching, and nutrition coaching. Our son has loved VSI, and it has been a lifesaver for us in the summers!
- UAH Basketball Camps - UAH offers other sports camps and academic camps, but we have only tried b-ball.
- Alabama Athletic Club - tennis camps. Our daughter has done these several times and loved them!
Volunteering is a great way to teach your kids about compassion and serving others. Here are a few opportunities we have tried that are also kid-friendly:
- Manna House - flexible hours and no need to schedule ahead.
- A New Leash on Life - foster/adopt a dog or cat! Or volunteer at their life-saving center, adoption events, or thrift store.
- [Lincoln Village Ministry](https://www.lincolnvillage.org/volunteer
- The CARE Center- volunteer through their summer camps, thriftstore, or food ministry.
- Point Mallard- a great water park in Decatur.
- Concerts in the Park- arts Huntsville
- Trash Panda games
- Day trips in Alabama
- Escape Rooms-
- Talking Point Cards- these have been so helpful for dinner-time conversations.
- Pickleball- this was a huge blessing to us last summer!